This brownie recipe is a coveted Theo classic and suitable for all seasons.
Bonus: During the holidays we love substituting our dark chocolate holiday bars for a festive twist! Try topping cooled brownies with crushed candy canes and a chocolate drizzle for party perfect presentation.
Ingredients for brownies:
- 12 ounces Theo 70% dark chocolate bar of your choice, chopped and divided
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt 3 eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
Instructions (makes 16 brownies):
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil, leaving a small overhang to facilitate removing the finished brownies. Butter the lining or spray it with nonstick cooking spray, and set the pan aside.
- Melt 8 ounces of the chocolate in a double boiler along with the sugars and butter, stirring occasionally, (see Melting Chocolate in a Double Boiler, page 26, for instructions), and set aside to cool slightly. Sift the flour and salt together into a small bowl and set aside.
- Whisk the eggs into the warm chocolate mixture one at a time until thoroughly combined, then whisk in the vanilla. Gently stir in the dry ingredients in two batches, then stir in the remaining 4 ounces chopped chocolate. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs attached, but not wet with raw batter.
- Cool completely before cutting, if you can wait that long! These are also delicious served chilled.