If you've ordered from our Theo-To-Go delivery service, you've seen the newest legendary item from our Confection Kitchen: Theo Chocolate Scones! Today we're going to have our kitchen staff show you how to make these delicious treats in you own home.
2 cups flour
½ cup sugar
1 tsp kosher salt
1 TBSP baking powder
1 stick (½ cup) butter, cold
about ²/³ cups heavy cream, cold, plus more for brushing
1 egg, cold
Heaping ½ cup chopped Theo 70% Dark Chocolate
About ½ cup shredded unsweetened coconut
Or, whatever else you have on hand or want to put into a scone! (You may need to adjust amounts based on inclusion. Use your best judgement!)
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder in a medium mixing bowl until well combined.
- Cut butter into approximately ½ inch pieces. Use your fingers to cut the butter into the flour mixture until you have pea sized pieces with some larger flat shards of butter.
- Stir chocolate and coconut (or inclusion of choice) into flour mixture.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, add the cream and egg and whisk to combine into a cohesive mixture.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry. Use a rubber spatula to gently mix. Once the cream starts to be incorporated, dump the shaggy scone dough onto a clean surface and use your hands to finish mixing. Be sure to not overmix or you will get a tougher scone!
- Shape the dough into a disk about ¾ to 1 inch thick. Use a knife or bench scraper to cut the dough into 8 wedges. Alternately, you can split the dough into two disks and make smaller scones. (When scones are smaller, you can eat more of them!)
- Brush the tops of the scones with more cream and bake 18-25 minutes for large scones. Baking time will be reduced if you make small scones, approximately 14-20 minutes.
- Let cool at least slightly (if you can wait that long), then enjoy! Scones are especially great with a cup of tea or coffee!